Related Gamer Articles
A Few Games from 2011 You May Have Overlooked
A Few Games from 2011 You May Have Overlooked
While there were plenty of major releases in 2011, some games didn't garner much attention. This handful of titles may of slipped under your radar.Posted by Craig 'CraigAA' Andersen on Tue, Jan 24 2012 at 01:06pm
The month of January is drawing to a close. 2011 is quickly becoming a distant memory, as are the numerous games that came out last year. While it is easy to rattle off plenty of high profile releases, there are some games that, for one reason or another, did not garner as much attention. Whether it was the lack of marketing or the looming shadow of the better-known franchises, some deserving titles failed to show up on the radar of many consumers.
Since there are a few weeks left until major releases start coming out again, now is the perfect time to give a handful of these forgotten games some much needed attention. Some of these you may of dismissed, others you may have never heard of, but each one definitely deserves a look.
You Dont Know Jack Platform(s): Xbox360,Playstation 3, Wii, PC, NDS
A trivia game may not be the first thing you think of when looking for something to eat up your time, but if you can gather a few friends together, You Dont Know Jack is a blast. Continuing the fondly remembered franchise after eight years, Jack offers hundreds of questions, some of the best comedic writing of the year and various ridiculous yet endearing visual styles. While it can be played alone or online(on Xbox360 and PS3), the best way to experience the wonders of You Dont Know Jack is with a few friends laughing along on the couch right next to you.
Shadows of the Damned
Platform(s): Xbox360,Playstation 3
Shadows of the Damned, the most recent title from the warped mind of Suda51, can best be described as interesting. The story and characters are ridiculous, the gameplay is solid though occasionally buggy, the presentation varies wildly and there are numerous jokes about male genitalia. However, somehow all these elements meld together to create an experience that sticks with you, for better or for worse. It would not be hard to find a game that looks and plays better than Shadows of the Damned, but it is unlikely you will find one with as much personality.
There is nothing wrong
with a deep, narrative driven shooter with a large assortment of weaponry and
equipment at your disposal, but sometimes you just want to forget about all of
that and hold down the trigger with reckless abandon to wipe out droves of
enemies without much thought. Hard Reset offers exactly that. Harkening back to
the days of simplistic run-and-gun action, the throwback design is surprisingly
refreshing and satisfying. With only a handful of weapons, each with numerous
firing modes and a constant supply of ammunition, it is nice, simple robot
killing fun. It looks pretty nice too.
Rayman Origins Platform(s): Xbox360, Playstation 3, Wii, NDS
Rayman Origins is arguably one of the best 2D platformers to come out in years. It had tight, responsive controls that were easy to get a grip on, cooperative play, tons of challenge for platforming veterans, and beautiful hand-drawn artwork that made each environment as striking as the last. However, many gamers overlooked Origins because it had the misfortune of being released just after both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3. This charming adventure was all but ignored when put up against the two biggest shooters of 2011. You may have missed it then, but now is a great time to rectify that mistake.
There are four games that you may want to look into while you wait for the big releases of 2012. Do you have a game from 2011 that you think needed more attention? Post about it in the comments below.
Article Tag Cloud
- 'Doorways' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Sun, Aug 21 2016 at 01:13pm
- Top 3 Wanted No Man's Sky FeaturesPosted in Editorials, on Sun, Aug 21 2016 at 04:07am
- No Man's SkyPosted in Game Reviews, on Tue, Aug 16 2016 at 03:10am
- No Image Specified'Brut@l' ReviewPosted in Game Reviews, on Sat, Aug 06 2016 at 01:12am
- No Image Specified'The Technomancer' ReviewPosted in Game Reviews, on Fri, Aug 05 2016 at 11:53pm
- No Image Specified'The Great Whale Road' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Tue, Aug 02 2016 at 03:18pm
- No Image Specified'The Magic Circle' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Mon, Aug 01 2016 at 12:59pm
- No Image Specified"Trial by Viking" Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Mon, Jul 18 2016 at 09:06pm
- No Image Specified"The Culling" Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Thu, Jul 14 2016 at 02:53pm
- Leap Of Fate Review by McSwitchPosted in Game Reviews, on Mon, Jun 20 2016 at 05:04pm