Related Gamer Articles
Guild Wars 2 vs Tera: Can There Only Be One?
Guild Wars 2 vs Tera: Can There Only Be One?
Guild Wars 2 goes into preorder beta test the same weekend as Tera launches with early access. Which game will get more log-ins?Posted by Jonathan 'prisonedbeast' Bauer on Tue, Apr 24 2012 at 08:12pm
Guild Wars 2, the much anticipated sequel to one of the PC community's favorite game, is going into a closed beta this weekend and will extend to all those who preordered the game. This weekend is also the same week that Tera will go live for all the players who preordered the game. It looks like there will be a battle for who gets the most log-ins. Tera may have a slight advantage due to the relative surprise they gave by telling gamers there will be early access, but Guild Wars 2 has a solid following of loyal fans to back it up. Let us look at what each game offers and decide which MMO is going to be right for you.
Guild Wars 2
has been getting a lot of hype recently and feels like it should of been
released years ago. The game had a strong presence at PAX East doing them a lot of
service in getting people excited and preordering the game. What makes this
game so exciting is the
large evolving world, where there can be entire villages taken over by beast
tribes. Then there is the large scale battleground PvP mode that makes the
Guild Wars series well known and keeps the community active and interested months after the game is released. The kicker here is that the game is going to be
free to play after you purchase a license, meaning no monthly fee. This, however,
can be a double edged sword, with no monthly income source then how will they
make money for making improvements? This could make the updates very few and
far between, but at the same time, it makes the commitment to play nonexistent
since there is not a monthly charge giving you guilt like a neglected gym
membership. These are only some of the basic things, but these very simple details are what makes Guild Wars 2 a real contender in this battle.
Tera is a MMO that launched in Korea several months ago that unfortunately did not do as well as they thought it would. Creators are bringing the game to the US hoping that the Western audience would receive the game a little differently. Their gamble has paid off with an amazing open beta and several positive things being said about the game from several forums and gaming websites. The Guild Vs Guild battles can keep you occupied for a long time, the questing being a strong form of leveling and keeping the grind fun with interactive combat. Tera will be known for its combat, which is one of the most fun I have played in any MMO. The dodging mechanic and overall flow of combat makes an hour long battle feel as epic as it looks. That being said, the game is not without flaws. For example, the open world faction-less PvP allows anyone to PK (player kill) you if they choose. This is counterbalanced with a very unique infamy system that has received very mixed reviews from the community.
These are just some of the basic points that each game has to offer with leaving a lot to be explored. If you did not get a chance to try out the Tera open beta test then I really recommend giving the game some research. It feels like Guild Wars 2 is releasing new information about the game almost every day, and as saturated as the news is, we always welcome more. The excitement for the game is very well deserved and the bigger world with so much to explore deserves the attention. It is, in the end, up to you which game you should spend your money on, but either way you are going to get an MMO experience like none other.
Article Tag Cloud
Article Relates To:
- Day Of Infamy GiveawayPosted in Editorials, on Mon, Aug 29 2016 at 02:46pm
- 'Doorways' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Sun, Aug 21 2016 at 01:13pm
- Top 3 Wanted No Man's Sky FeaturesPosted in Editorials, on Sun, Aug 21 2016 at 04:07am
- No Man's SkyPosted in Game Reviews, on Tue, Aug 16 2016 at 03:10am
- No Image Specified'Brut@l' ReviewPosted in Game Reviews, on Sat, Aug 06 2016 at 01:12am
- No Image Specified'The Technomancer' ReviewPosted in Game Reviews, on Fri, Aug 05 2016 at 11:53pm
- No Image Specified'The Great Whale Road' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Tue, Aug 02 2016 at 03:18pm
- No Image Specified'The Magic Circle' Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Mon, Aug 01 2016 at 12:59pm
- No Image Specified"Trial by Viking" Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Mon, Jul 18 2016 at 09:06pm
- No Image Specified"The Culling" Review by Lefthook77Posted in Game Reviews, on Thu, Jul 14 2016 at 02:53pm